Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Family: Isn't It About Time?

I had somewhat of an eye opener this morning. I received a message this morning from my mom that my dad had an accident at work, and had been rushed to the hospital.

He had been using the forklift to load up his truck this morning, and it toppled over from the pallet he was carrying. He had gotten an "L" shaped cut on his head, a minor fraction in a neck vertebrae and a pulled shoulder. He will be confined to a neck brace for the next couple of months while he heals.

Hours after CAT scans, MRI's and countless amounts of stitches, he is resting in a Vegas Hospital for the night. His biggest complaint? The bright lights in his room, people coming in and out, and the fact that he is sharing his room with someone else. :) He was quite fun to talk to tonight while under the influence of his medication. "I haaaaad riiiiice and vegggggggtabbbbblesssss with fishhhhh." He was sure giggly too. I'm so very glad he was cared after and was brought into the hospital so quickly.


I fall into this seemingly comfortable mindset that they will always be there. I take it for granted, I take them for granted. And I'm not sure what it is. Is it because I have the gospel that answers those heart wrenching questions? Or just the simple fact that I have been blessed to never have lost a close family member, and I magically assume no one will ever die? Diane's passing last month, also brought these thoughts to the surface. She is actually the closest person to me that has passed away. My grandma Nola passed away when I was... not too sure how old I was... ten? But I don't remember having a hard time with it. It seemed to not have effect me.

Also, because of my time as a missionary, I think I became accustomed to not contacting family over long periods of time. My mom is not accustomed, nor happy about this fact. Hence the blog, and she signed up for Facebook last week :)

Once again, my eyes have been opened, and myself reminded as to what matters most.

5 comments:

Josh and Micah said...

Uncle Dean-o is in our prayers! I hope he heals, and will be fine!
I am the same way, I have never lost anyone close to me, and I dont know how I will deal with it when it acutally does happen. I hope its not anytime soon!
Love you cousin! :)

Brimaca said...

That is scary! I'm glad he is ok. I know exactly what you mean with everything you wrote.

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Oh, how scary! I can actually agree with a lot of what you said about taking things for granted. I am glad your dad is doing okay now.

Brenda said...

Thanks Moni for the thought's ... your so good at expressing all of our feelings! Love ya tons!!
MOM

Jocee said...

Okay, so I had no idea you had a blog! I hope your dad is okay. Scary stuff... you should really talk to your family more! (Like I'm one to talk)! I'm glad you seem to be doing awesome! Good luck with school!