Tuesday, March 17, 2009

No Green for Me

As I was walking to my car this morning, behind schedule and late for my first class, I realized I didn't have any green incorporated into my outfit. My first thought was, "Crap! I've got to go back and change." My second thought, "Oh heck, I'm not in HS anymore. No one is going to pinch me, let along talk to me. Who cares!" So I successfully went through the entire day without wearing something green, and without getting pinched.

However, as I continued through the day, I became very puzzled and quite surprised at the amount of people who did follow the "social contract" of wearing green for St. Patricks. On campus, and again at Wal-Mart it was like a sea of green. I was thoroughly fascinated by this habit we seemed to have gained since kindergarten; the fear of physical harm for not wearing a particular color on a particular day. Why do we conform to this "norm"? Why did I hesitate to further delay my tardiness to wear this magical color of luck?

Just a musing for today.

3 comments:

The Leggs said...

That is such a fun story. I hate St Patrick's Day. Though I do have a tradition to watch a movie with some sorta Irish link. Last night I watched PS I Love You.

rebecca said...

get your cute butt over here and i will pinch you!

Josh and Micah said...

I pinched Josh... And I wore green... But I noticed lots of people not wearing it yesterday.
You do make a great point though :)