Tuesday, March 24, 2009

We will miss you furry friend!

Whiskers. Whisk. Scat Cat. Poo Trash. Brat Cat. Kitty Kitty. Mr. Whiskers. He was known by many names, but we loved him none the less. Well, most of us. He came into our family when he was about 2 years old. His first owner, had a new girlfriend who was allergic, so he dropped Whisk off at the vet hoping someone would adopt him. The vet he dropped him off at was Max Brinkerhoff's clinic, who was a dear friend and neighbor. He gave us a call asking if we were willing to take in a new cuddly, furry friend. My dad has never been a pet person, so my mom and I snuck off to the vet to pick him up. My mom hid Whiskers in her shirt when we returned home, hoping to sneak him by dad. We couldn't keep him a secret for long! After much begging, and retelling of poor Whisk's sob story, my dad couldn't do anything but say, "Okay".



He survived an airborne free fall from a small cut out of a certain brother's window screen, two floors up. He lived through years of name calling, kicks, and endless hugs from small children. He had many friends, one of which was very speical. My dear sister Maddi. He chose her over everyone else. She was probably two or three (we can't seem to remember when we did get him) years old when Whiskers joined our family. He slept with her every night, and always chose her to cuddle with. They "played" outside together, well, as much as a cat plays. Becasue he was so much older when we got him, he never quite bonded with us. He usually hid under beds, or escaped out the door. But we all loved him!


LP was sad when he heard the news today. He offered us his kitty, but his kitty is sick too, and probably won't be around very long. He was excited to realize that Whiskers and his family dog, Lady, would be having lunch together today. Thank goodness for sweet children to reminds us to smile. He also said, they could get married! He wanted to bring the famiy a plant, and he was very specific on what he was looking for. Whiskers was black, white and gray, so naturally, LP was looking for a particular pail that was gray. They struggled to find one, but he was happy with what they did find. Thank you Heward family!


He lived a great 15 years.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh Yea! Memories of Whiskers! :0)
It's been a wierd....hard...sad day! But it's all part of the life cycle. Like LP said....if we live the right way we'll see him again!! Oh out of the mouths of babe's! We WILL miss kitty!

Denniey said...

Monica, I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to loose a pet, both my pups are gone. If you need someone to snuggle Buddy is here and so am I.

Maddi said...

I MISS HIM!!!!!!! =/

Lori said...

I found you on FB and now blogspot! You just can't get away from me!!! I am adding you to my sidebar on my bloggity blog, hope you don't mind :) It is fun to catch up with people this way! Hope all is well. . .