Saturday, July 26, 2008

Spanish Fark Ro-de-o

Smelly animals, skinny tight Wranglers, cowboy hats, plate size belt buckles, country humor, city jokes, dogs, flies, ropes, poop, $6 bottles of refreshing liquid, flannel shirts, boots, spurs, chaps. These all describe what you will find at your basic rodeo. This was a new experince for me. I think I might have gone once with my good friend Stasha Atkin, but I don't recall a whole lot. The first six years of my life consisted of this lifestyle, but once we moved from the small town of Heber, to the city life of St. George, it all stopped. I have no memory of horse riding with Grandpa Jones, or walking the fields in Heber, or feeding any such farm animal. I'm sorta glad I never had to live with this stuff. Now, hold on. I know some of you have jumped outta your chair and are now shaking your fist at me. I realize that if I had grown up in this sort of a community, I would love and appreciate it just as much as I enjoy the life I have lived. But I just don't think I could put up with the smell and the dirt!

Anyway, to move away from that discussion.... My dear friend BFF Becca organized this lovely night out for us. (if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have any socialization in my life. Thank goodness she takes the initiative!) My cousin Brittany came along, as well as Luca. We had a grand time sittin' in the stands marveling at the reality of a cowboy's dream. I just didn't understand it all. But I'm sure it is all very important and meaningful to someone.... :)


I didn't really take any pictures. Here's one of us girls, and then the one below is of the "mutton bustin'". I had never seeen such a thing! It was darn cute, and I told Tena she should sign Preston up! She said, "Sure, when he's 25." And no. I didn't find me a hot cowboy...


4 comments:

rebecca said...

i had such a good time! im so excited to be able to hang out with you EVERY DAY this fall:)

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Okay, Monica, even though it's been years since I have heard your voice, I honestly could hear you say "Spanish Fark" as I read your title. :)

ATLP said...

Glad you took in some culture! well if you can call it that!?!?!?

ATLP said...

I love the new look! *Ü*