Wednesday, July 9, 2008

To finish or not to finish...

Reading. It's my preferred past time. I love the opportunity to escape into someone elses life, experience things I will probably never experience, meet one of a kind people, and most importantly, forget about myself and this life that is mine. It's the most incredible, unexplainable experience. I'm not sure how to explain it. I had a good conversation with BFF Becca about this very topic. We have found ourselves taking on the feelings and thoughts of the main character. I can smell what she smells, tastes what she tastes, hears what she hears, thinks what she thinks. I am her and she is me. The writing just flows through me, every page turn leaves me wanting more and more. I stay awake late into the night, hoping for the first kiss, or the runaway to be found, or the mystery man to be unveiled. But as I ease on through the book, a deep fear begins to form in the back of my mind. I don't want it to end! When it does, I feel as if I've lost my best friend, as if someone close to me has died. It's awful. I find myself rushing to the end, but then pulling back and slowing it down for the last chapter.... Reading is a bitter sweet experience. Despite the ups and downs of it, reading will forever be my favorite past time.

4 comments:

rebecca said...

i sooo know what you mean. you crack me right up.

ATLP said...

Ok so this is why I don't read! It is way to stressful.

Brenda said...

I'm so proud of you and your sisters for being such avid readers...But I don't understand this concept at all cuz I'm such a bad example if reading...anything! Sorry for the sorrow it causes ... just keep it up! :)

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Okay, so this is so poetic and beautiful I can't stand it! I never realized what an amazing writer you are. Seriously. Wow.