Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Disney: Where Dreams Come True


So, this has been rolling around in my head for a long while, and has moved to the front of the list this past week. Across the hall from Deseret Book, is located The Disney Store. In the middle of the hall between Deseret Book and The Disney Store, is the Tangerine Jewelry kiosk. Where do I work? Deseret Book and Tangerine. What do I have the privilege of listening to day in and day out?? Screaming children. On the days I work at the kiosk, I get to watch first hand how the kicking and screaming begins. When I work in Deseret Book, I am able to see the irritated and fuming faces of the parents as they drag the screaming child through the length of the store. I have had many thought processes stem from this continuous occurrence.


First, why set your child up for disappointment? I watch these parents bring their children in all sorts of restraints being forced and cohered into seemingly endless amounts of hours patiently awaiting the promise of a treat, or perhaps a trip to the Disney Store. All through Deseret Book we are "blessed" to listen to the screaming previous to entering The Disney Store, and the screaming following a trip to the Disney Store. They usually end up at The Pantry in search of the magical cookie to ease the child's displeasure.


OK, so speaking of restraints, what do you think of the kid leases? I just don't know how I feel about them... I probably see two of these a day. One time I saw a dad pulling along his little daughter. As they were passing the Disney Store, Dad saw someone he knew and they stopped to chat. Naturally, the daughter walked up to the TV sets that are playing clips of Disney movies. The Dad's conversation ended and he proceeded to walk away, I guess, assuming the child was going to follow. As you may guess, she didn't, and ended up sprawled out on the floor and was drug a foot or so before Dad realized she wasn't coming. He pulled up the lease, expecting her to jump right up on her feet. Dad showed no remorse. Yes I know, I don't have any kids, so I don't have any true opinion, but still....


Another thought process I had, was of the true magic that seems to emanate from Disney. As I sit at my little kiosk, I am able to participate in the game of People Watching. I have found it very intriguing to see each persons' reaction as they pass the store. It doesn't matter how old the individual is, grandma to teenage boy, they always pause. It's the smallest pause, but it still happens. Your heart starts to swell, and when the magic starts, all sorts of feelings come rushing back at you. The Disney Classics have taught many life lessons, and have touched us in ways that have changed us. We learn to wait for our Prince to come rescue us, we learn that Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind. We learn that good always triumphs evil, whether that evil is a giant sized octopus, or a raunchy step mother. Nowadays, frankly, the cartoons suck. We've lost the dreamy magic of Mickey and Minnie, and have found ourselves surrounded by people with triangle shaped heads called Phineas. Hopefully that Disney Vault will continue opening up so our future generations will be able to see the true nature of Disney and that the magic can continue! Thanks for listening to be blab!

1 comment:

ATLP said...

So I guess you did not use Preston's Baby Bear AKA "leash" whe you watched him?!?! Lets just say it is a life saver! In a huge airport with millions of people it is Great! Children don't always want to be in strollers. Especailly after they have been sitting a long time. They are brilliant! Someday you will understand! Or not!